Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Raw (2016)

Director: Julia Ducournau. Cast: Garance Marillier, Ella Rumpf. 99 min. Rated R. Italy/France/Belgium. Horror.

I'm not against violence in movies per se, but I do have a problem when violence is solely there to shock you. The story of a teenage girl who gradually realizes she's a cannibal (while some already knew but hid it from her), could have been told without the in-your-face feasting, and therefore could have become much more creepy. The underlying theme of "don't make a woman angry" simmers, but seriously, scare tactics won't help any female cause. While the movie has won lots of accolades, I didn't get the point. So what; she's a cannibal.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. I have no problem whatsoever with violence designed to shock! It is a horror movie after all is said and done. I will look out for this one and will give my views positive or negative when I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Violence to scare' (e.g. "The Texas Chainsaw Massacre"), I'm all for it. But mere 'violence to shock'? I can't wait to read what you think about this movie.

      Delete