Monday, July 20, 2015

Dead Snow (Død snø) (2009)

Director: Tommy Wirkola. Cast: Jeppe Beck Laursen, Charlotte Frogner, Jenny Skavlan. 91 min. Not Rated. Norway. Comedy/Horror.

In a movie self-admittedly inspired by Sam Raimi's Evil Dead, including villains' wandering point-of-view shots, gory blood-spurting comedy, and even a box that invites evil when opened, a group of youngsters hike up to a cabin in the middle of snow-covered mountains, and are attacked by ... Nazi zombies. Feels like a double-spoof of a genre spoof: in addition to heroes acting stupid like typical cabin-in-the-woods teenagers, when the zombie commander actually started hurling orders, it looked as if the film was satirizing the Nazis' typical "easy villain" status in movies. Encouraged to watch the better-reviewed sequel.

Mo says:


3 comments:

  1. I have to agree with your so-so review, there was really nothing new on offer here and I was putting off getting Dead Snow 2 but it does get some pretty positive reviews so I ordered it today and it was only £5 so I can afford it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be watching the sequel soon also. There were some funny moments here though. My favorite: "F**king Nokia! Out of battery!"

      :-D

      Delete
    2. I don't really enjoy zombie movies any more but I will give the sequel a chance...

      Delete