Thursday, March 19, 2015

Top Five (2014)

Director: Chris Rock. Cast: Chris Rock, Rosario Dawson, Gabrielle Union, Cedric the Entertainer, Tracy Morgan, Luis Guzmán, Kevin Hart. 102 min. Rated R. Comedy/Romance.

I think I know what Chris Rock is trying to do here. He provides comedic arguments and counter-arguments on how the entertainment industry is exploiting the black community, how blacks undermine each other by feeding into that environment and competing to be exploited, and how each of them undermine themselves by coming up with outrageous conspiracy theories that blow any discussion out of proportion. The reason "I think I know", is that this mishmash of concepts leaves the viewer confused what Chris Rock's own stance is. I guess even he doesn't really know.

Mo says:

No comments:

Post a Comment