Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pieta (2012)

Director: Ki-duk Kim. Cast: Min-soo Jo, Jeong-jin Lee. 104 min. South Korea. Drama.

When it's from South Korea, I brace myself for a disturbing story about the extreme behavior of people on-edge; but expected this (from the director of the gentle Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring) to be an exception. Nevertheless, the tale of a mind-numbingly ruthless loan shark who suddenly finds the mother who abandoned him 30 years ago at his door, leaves little room for sweetness. Conceivable how the mere physical presence of a parent can change one's life. Final scene: a sprayed line of blood trailing behind a pickup truck in the early morning hours. You get the idea.

PS: This film was the winner of the Golden Lion at the 2012 Venice Film Festival, among a multitude of other awards.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. What a disturbing and harsh movie! There was no minute to take a breath.... consider fainted-heart audiences! my GOD I don't know I like it or not ?!!just 2 hours something was on my nerve without a break but I could not stop myself following such a terrible story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the basis of my scoring: you were thinking about the movie when it was done, weren't you? Very disturbing (but thought-provoking) movie.

      Delete