Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Blue Jasmine (2013)

Director: Woody Allen. Cast: Cate Blanchett, Sally Hawkins, Alec Baldwin, Andrew Dice Clay, Bobby Cannavale, Louis C.K., Peter Sarsgaard, Michael Stuhlbarg. 98 min. Rated PG-13. Drama/Comedy.

Two adopted sisters living a world apart (both figuratively and geographically - if you consider New York to San Francisco a world distance) have a running streak of bad relationships with men. The story of the affluent sister (Cate Blanchett) is told in flashbacks, and even though the dialogue is as flawless as any Allen script, the structure makes the ending quite predictable; to the extent that the final half hour becomes slightly boring. Powerhouse performance by Blanchett (as Allen's usual lead neurotic character) makes her a sure bet for an Oscar nomination this year.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. Another prediction of yours about Blanchett came true partly by winning golden globe last night (I told you I'm counting !) but after ceremony I watched it and agree that her role was tough and she handled it perfectly. I loved this work of Woody Allen and didn't get bored. I thought that it had something new to say. A marriage is ruined by lie and cheating and instead the victim wants to build another relationship based on the lie ! and at the same time we see some people are so negatively placid and unconcerned (like her sister and that looser guy ) that makes me feel they live like pigs! really disgusting .
    The life-story of the Blanchett in this movie and her superficial attitude to the life and her failures one after another reminds me this quote that I love the most :
    "Lessons in life will be repeated until they are learned "

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice quote. I did Google search to see who said it - no luck.

      Anyway, if Meryl Streep doesn't win an Oscar (again!), I think Blanchett has a very good chance this year.

      Delete