Sunday, April 28, 2013

Tiny Furniture (2010)

Director: Lena Dunham. Cast: Lena Dunham, Laurie Simmons, Grace Dunham, Alex Karpovsky, Jemima Kirke. 98 min. Not Rated. Comedy/Drama.

Written and directed by Dunham during her pre-Girls TV fame days, about a twenty-something girl who graduates from a college in Ohio, with no experience to get a job, and no job to get some experience. So she lives a day at a time in NYC with her (real-life) mother and sister, hoping for something to pop up. This was my first exposure to Dunham's deadpan, in-your-face, dark humor, and I'm not sure if it's for everyone, but I enjoyed it, making me look forward to watching Girls some day. Here are typical examples; you'll get the idea:

Aura: I have no experience. 
Charlotte: It's absolutely fine. On my resume under "skills", I put "has a landline".

Or:

Mother: Oh you can sleep in my bed when I'm here, you just can't sleep here when I'm not here.
Aura: So next week when you're visiting colleges, I can't sleep here?
Mother: That is correct.
Aura: What's the difference?
Mother: You need to be invited. I have to invite you to come in.
Aura: Like a vampire.

Mo says:


No comments:

Post a Comment