Sunday, April 7, 2013

Dark Shadows (2012)

Director: Tim Burton. Cast: Johnny Depp, Michelle Pfeiffer, Eva Green, Helena Bonham Carter, Jackie Earle Haley, Chloë Grace Moretz, Christopher Lee, Alice Cooper. 11 min. Rated PG-13. Comedy/Fantasy.

Can't believe it. After Alice and Frankenweenie, this is the third time in a row I'm giving Tim Burton a low score. In Edward Scissorhands, Burton went for a modern Frankenstein tale, and here, he goes for the Dracula story. The comedy setting, the castle, the angry mob, and of course, the (enjoyable) main actor, are all right out of Edward. There's nothing innately wrong with the movie, but I would've been content with Burton just sitting in the producer's chair. Aren't great directors expected to expand their horizons? Has Burton run out of ideas? Isn't repeating yourself considered... cheap?

PS: This may sound weird, but I'm worried the same may some day happen to Tarantino. Hope that day never comes.

Mo says:

3 comments:

  1. I finally got round to watching this last nigh and it really was awful. Great actors and a director do not a great movie make. I have to blame the script, it was rubbish. I didn't care about a single character and although the ending leaves plenty of room for a sequel I really hope it never gets made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Couldn't agree with you more. I never watched the old TV show, but this movie sure didn't spark any interest in me to do so.

      Delete
  2. I watched some of the original series on youtube and it's not very good. A soap opera with some horror elements. I guess it has it's fans but I'm not one of them.

    ReplyDelete