Thursday, August 2, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

Director: Christopher Nolan. Cast: Christian Bale, Tom Hardy, Anne Hathaway, Gary Oldman, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine, Matthew Modine, Liam Neeson, Cillian Murphy. 164 min. Rated PG-13. USA/UK. Action/Drama.

How can the finale to the great Nolan's Batman trilogy be watched, without having high expectations created by 2008's The Dark Knight? How could Bane, the movie's cool villain, ever upstage the Joker's powerful presence from the last? So be fair; watch Dark Knight Rises in its own context. Opening with a well-crafted slow rhythm, it makes thought-provoking jabs at the Occupy Wall Street movement, and ends in an incredible climax. Ann Hathaway surprises as Catwoman, and even though Nolan has bid the series farewell, he's kind enough to provide a Robin for future installments. What huge shoes to fill.

PS #1: Comic Book Girl 19 rounds it up pretty well.

PS #2: Watch for a cameo by the Scarecrow, the villain of Batman Begins (2005)!


6 comments:

  1. I saw it two nights ago and have to say I loved it. For once the drive home with my friends wasn't spent tearing it to pieces. I had quite low expectations going in and did not expect to be blown away. Bane looks a lot better in the comic, he's as big as the HULK but that was about my only criticism. I had been told that Bane's mumbles were indecipherable but I only lost a few words.
    I enjoyed Comicbookgirl19's review, she was almost spot on but I didn't feel the need for an explanation of Catwoman's abilities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you notice on IMDb's recent update of their top 250 movies of all time (by user votes), TDKR made number 13 ?! That early?! Check it out:

    http://www.imdb.com/chart/top

    ReplyDelete
  3. Number 13?!? Yes it is way too soon. I expect it is due to people getting a bit over excited or maybe many of the votes being cast by very young viewers. A quick look at the chart shows me that what I think of as a great movie doesn't really tie in with the chart at all.
    To be honest this movie would not make my top 100 but that doesn't lessen it's brilliance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually I was surprised that TDKR made it to list, because considering its long duration and dense material for a superhero movie, it would have a tough time becoming "popular". Makes you think there's still hope for the common movie-goer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Strange that for second time watching at DVD its initial brilliant effect dramatically decreased.!I loved Hathaway and some visual effects but the other parts including Bane 's impact or twist of plot was totally gone !
    maybe because there was no shocking moment either, which is basically its landmark, althogh I had not the same experience in Inception or Batman begins after I watch them twice or even 3 time....Every time I enjoyed them like the first time .... I'm still scared of Joker in Dark night .
    * it rank now is 37 ,Dark night is still 7.
    * * I liked Comicbookgirl19's review. Thanks! but I couldn't find Cameo of scarecrow. you mean this? :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtKxVBCvF4E

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, what made the movie much more enjoyable on the second time (watching the Blu-ray you had sent me), was that I had already bought Hans Zimmer's soundtrack a few months before. As I watched, I was matching the haunting music to the scenes, which made the experience ten times more enjoying.

    Here's the Scarecrow cameo in "The Dark Knight Rises", playing the judge in the Revolutionary Court ("daadgaaheh enghelaab"), very similar to the courts in Iran, where people were convicted just for the crime of being rich:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-dJPoSlPfU

    ReplyDelete