Thursday, September 15, 2011

Best Worst Movie (2009)


Director: Michael Stephenson. Cast: George Hardy, Michael Stephenson, Darren Ewing. 93 min. Documentary.

A true amusement, about Troll 2 (1990), confirmed by its Rotten Tomatoes' 0% rating to be the worst movie of all time. But how is it possible to make a perfectly bad movie, or ... what is the definition of a perfectly bad movie? That unanswered question is why Troll 2 has reached cult status, with droves of fans lining up for midnight screenings across the country. The original film's two main actors get together (here as director and lead actor) to revisit how this movie hilariously traumatized their lives. You'll find yourself smiling throughout the entire film.

Best quote: "You can't piss on hospitality! I WON'T ALLOW IT!"

PS: Troll 2 is available for Instant Viewing on Netflix. You don't need to watch the entire movie; the first half hour (which includes the above quote) is more than enough to demonstrate how bad the movie is.

Mo says: 

 

9 comments:

  1. Plan Nine from Outer Space was once deemed the worst movie of all time but I loved it. I may one day watch Troll 2, it doesn't look that bad to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can guarantee you'll love it. Watching even that half hour for me was the typical example of "It's so bad, it's good."

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people can't tell the difference between a low budget movie and a bad movie. I love most of the Ed Wood movies but found the Hershell Gordon Lewis movies almost impossible to sit through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly. But I can also divide your "bad movie" category into two subcategories: good bad movie, and bad bad movie (or trash). "Troll 2" belongs to the former.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I managed to see this fine documentary and Troll 2 last week.
    Best Worst Movie was an enjoyable romp in to the guts of a terrible film.

    Troll 2 Was enjoyable enough and you are right it is a good-bad-movie but pales compared to the Mighty Plan 9...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, haven't seen any of Ed Wood's movies. My only experience with him has been Tim Burton's biopic, "Ed Wood", which I thought was hilarious.

    (Have you seen it? What did you think of it?)

    I'll add "Plan 9" to my must-see queue now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the Tim Burton biopic and make a mini movie festival at least once a year where I will watch: Dracula (Lugosi), Ed Wood (Burton) followed by the magnificent Plan 9(Ed Wood). Watching Dracula first makes Lugosi's fall into drug addiction even more saddening and ending the evening with Plan 9 is the cherry on a very interesting cake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A few people believe "Ed Wood" is Burton's best film. I still believe nothing tops his "Edward Scissorhands".

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Edward Scissor Hands but prefer Ed Wood. I hope Burton's best work is yet to come. He has directed a few turkeys but is always watchable.

    ReplyDelete