Saturday, August 13, 2011

Source Code (2011)

Director: Duncan Jones. Cast: Jake Gyllenhaal, Michelle Monaghan, Vera Farmiga, Jeffrey Wright. 93 min. Rated PG-13. Sci-Fi/Thriller.

A rare event: a very good sci-fi film. Jake Gyllenhaal is an army recruit who is repeatedly sent back in time through a program called Source Code, to experience the last 8 minutes of another person's life, and prevent a terrorist bomb from exploding the train that person was on. The catch: he gets involved with the person's companion, and tries to reconcile with his own father, during those 8 minutes. That's what separates this from any other sci-fi film: it has a heart. Ideal for weekend entertainment.

PS: With this and Moon his only two features, Duncan Jones is proving his expertise in emotionally charged sci-fi flicks.

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. I loved this movie but when I spoke about it enthusiastically to friends later, they had trouble understanding the concept. Definitely worth a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly what happened to me. A friend told me this isn't worth watching, but with my love of sci-fi and the movie's 91% score on the Tomatometer, there was no way I could let it go. I'm glad I didn't listen to my friend's advice.

    ReplyDelete