Thursday, March 3, 2011

Let Me In (2010)

Director: Matt Reeves. Cast: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Chloe Moretz, Richard Jenkins, Elias Koteas. 116 min. Rated R. UK/USA. Drama/Fantasy/Horror.

One of those rare instances where the Hollywood remake is as good (or even better) than the original. Based on the Swedish horror movie, Let the Right One In, this story involves the strange relationship between two adolescents: a boy, and maybe a girl. The movie's dark tones are right on target, it adds a few interesting touches to the original, and Moretz regained my respect after the disappointment of Kick-Ass (she claims here she's not a girl, and during the first half, she seriously looks like a boy). Just not sure why the movie is set in the 80s.

PS: I love the tagline: "Innocence dies. Abby doesn't."

Mo says:

2 comments:

  1. I’ve heard that Americans are so keen of Vamoire tpics and stories which makes them believe in vampireis real. Is it true?
    I’m saying because of huge feeling and welcome they express to such sort of movies…I always get surprized of how popular are they, and how many make and remake of same topic even in one year and all of them are box office…see huge success of twilight series, all of them ? Really why ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason, there has been a sudden interest in American pop culture in the vampire legend. In addition to the multiple movies (including the "Twilight" series), "True Blood" and "The Vampire Diaries" have been major TV shows dedicated to the subject. I've seen the first two seasons of "True Blood", and I love its novel approach to the legend.

    I don't know what the reason for this vampire surge is ... but I'm definitely enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete